Monday, March 5, 2012

The sound of rain

I usually like the sound of rain, it can be very soothing, especially against the windowpane when you're still in bed and just waking up, or when you're reading a book snuggled up on your couch with a blanket and a nice cup of tea...very relaxing I would think...

I don't like the rain, however, when it's 4 in the afternoon and I'm in Atabae, which is an hour and a half away from Maliana, and I know that come 5pm, when the training session I'm observing will be over, we need to get on the road again and try our luck to see if we'll arrive home in Maliana, safe and sound!

I'll clarify, right after you leave Maliana, there is a section about 20m long of pure mud - mud piled up on the left and mud piled up on the right - and you have to engage the 4x4 just to pass those 20m of 'road', when it rains, especially torrential rain, there is a huge likelihood that those walls of mud will collapse causing a landslide blocking all movement until a bulldozer can pass to clear it up again...If you're on the Maliana side it's alright because you just go back to the office or home and hope that tomorrow will be a 'passable' day, but if you're on the other side, like we were yesterday, there is a 50/50 chance that you'll be sleeping on a stranger's floor that night waiting for the bulldozer to pass...not a very positive scenario!

So yesterday, we crossed our fingers and made our way from Atabae to Maliana, not knowing what was in store...luckily, it was passable and I made it home, beaten and broken (from the bumps on the road) to sleep in my bed another day...

We go back to Atabae today...

No comments:

Post a Comment