Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The mission...

...should I choose to accept it (which, obviously, I did) is to assist UN Electoral Support Team in effectively advising the CNE and STAE national counterparts in all 13 districts of East Timor in regards to the preparations, organization, conduct, monitoring and supervision of the 2012 National Elections. Monitoring on the activities of field officers and assisting them in terms of providing administrative support will be the challenge of the Electoral Team.

I have been asked many times since announcing my imminent departure what my functions will be but seeing as the Terms of Reference list is so vast and the fact that I will be placed in a team of 8, I have no idea, at the present moment, what my exact role within the electoral teams will be!

But that will all be figured out on my arrival, we have a month of training in Dili before actually being assigned a district so right about now there are more pressing things to deal with, like my luggage!

My bags are nearly finished (just need to decide what clothing is really necessary or just pretty - hey, I'm a girl, you can't expect me to travel to an island without at least 4 pairs of shoes and double the amount of dresses!) and my 'pharmacy' and medical kit complete. I have also taken all the necessary vaccines (polio, tetanus and typhoid...luckily I already have yellow fever and hep A and B otherwise I would have to get those too...oh, and I still have to take japanese encephailitis once I arrive in Timor, fun!)

Now I just need to make sure I don't miss my flights, all 3 of them...I leave tomorrow from New York with a stopover in Frankfurt before arriving in Singapore on Saturday where I will connect to Dili, the capital of East Timor. There are 14 hours difference between New York and Dili...should make communication with J a breeze!

For now, that's it, next post will be from Dili (hopefully!)

No comments:

Post a Comment