Friday, January 27, 2012

The unbearable lightness of a cold shower

Before we were deployed we were given a telephone interview! I had spent the entire night before studying up on the country, reading the last electoral report, familiarizing myself with the districts just in case and then at 7:30am on a very cold day in Brussels I got a call from Timor with 5 simple questions: 1)Why are you volunteering, 2) Do you think you can live in a country with very basic conditions, 3) Do you know how to drive a 4x4, 4) Do you think you can live in a post-conflict country and 5) What is your understanding of voter registration, by the time they asked me if I had any questions I was so stunned that that had been it, that I had a hard time coming up with one!....Of course, after having lived in Angola and and in Laos, I found it very easy to answer these questions, apparently they seemed very easy to answer by all of those here present now, however, there is a BIG difference between saying it and actually experiencing it!
The situation here in Dili is considered basic but if you compare it to the districts then it's 5 stars, but it seems that some of us were expecting a lot more than what we got...
All this to get to the meaning of the title. So far, I've only had hot water on the first day, probably so that it wouldn't be a complete shock :p and from then on it's been cold water every day, which isn't a bad thing considering the temperature but if you're a girl you can sympathize that it ain't easy washing your hair with cold water! Here, I actually have a shower, in the districts it will be bucket showers, which I actually prefer to be honest, you get more water to the bucket!

Cold water, bring it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment