Saturday, June 9, 2012

Farewell to Ameerah Haq

This week, UNMIT has had to say goodbye to its SRSG (Special Representative of the Secretary General), Ms. Ammerah Haq, who, as of next monday, will become the head of UN Field Support in New York.
This was her message to us on her farewell:

Dear colleagues and friends,

The time has come for my departure from UNMIT and Timor-Leste, to take up my new duties as the head of the UN Department for Field Support. It has been a privilege and a pleasure to serve with you over the past two and a half years, and I would like to thank you all for your contributions to the United Nations' work in Timor-Leste.


I am especially grateful to all our Timorese staff, who have welcomed me so warmly, and taught me so much about their country. I am so pleased that my last official event in the mission was the graduation ceremony for the National Staff Capacity-Building Programme yesterday. I know that each and every one of you will continue to contribute to the peace, development and prosperity of your beautiful nation.

For international peacekeeping staff, Timor-Leste offers an inspiring opportunity to the see first-hand the progress that is possible in countries struck by conflict, if their people, leaders, and international partners are committed to a brighter future. I feel very proud to have accompanied Timor-Leste for a short part of its extraordinary journey, and to have led a UN team so committed to helping the Timorese people achieve their aspirations.

Earlier this week, at my fantastic farewell party, I was once again reminded of the warm sense of community that we enjoy in this mission and in the UN Country Team. Thank you all for making that evening, and my entire time here, so memorable. I leave you now in the very capable hands of Finn Reske-Nielsen, knowing that you will extend the same extraordinary support and friendship to him as you have done to me.

With thanks and warm regards,

Ameerah

Ameerah Haq
Special Representative of the Secretary-General and Head of UNMIT


The Deputy SRSG, Mr. Finn Reske-Nielsen, will therefore replace her and become the new SRSG until UNMIT closes up shop on December 31st by taking down its flag from the mast in its headquarters in Dili.

Mr. Reske-Nielsen, was also, by coincidence in Lao PDR before coming here, like me, although I missed his presence entirely since he left right before J arrived.

He also came to pay us a very special visit yesterday in Maliana. What was supposed to be an electoral visit to the political candidates of the parliamentary elections and to the electoral UNVs, such as myself, somewhat became hijacked into a courtesy visit to the Maliana Regional Security Centre, much to the chagrin of the UNVs that were looking forward to sharing their questions and concerns with our UNEST boss regarding the forthcoming elections...but as politics goes, anything can change at the last minute. It was still a nice visit, it even involved a tea with the head of the Pakistani forces - well, not for me of course - but we did get to see the Pakistani army dressed in full rigour which isn't something we see everyday.

At the moment, everything is quiet on the eastern front, everyone is hoping and crossing their fingers that there won't be any problems or violence in the forthcoming elections and that UNMIT can close as expected. People's major concerns at the moment are what's going to happen to them when UNMIT leaves as the unemployment hole created by its departure could be quite damaging to the national economy! In the case of national staff, the government has promised to take in some of the staff and UN agencies have also pledged to do their share, let's just hope it's not a false promise...it would be a shame to waste all the training and experience that the national staff have gained since the arrival of the UN. As for the international staff, most are looking towards the next mission, some have already been called to Libya and Syria is also on the horizon. As for me, I'm New York bound in one month and I already know finding a job there won't be easy and the application procedures are anything but...all I can do is keep applying and keep my fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment